The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

View Stats:
Hengstenberg May 17, 2017 @ 11:54am
Appp Crash after saving Game
So far the game runs fine,but every second manual save = App Crash and back to desktop

any Hints ?
< >
Showing 61-75 of 125 comments
Romus Nov 6, 2018 @ 6:28am 
Same here...it try to save frequently but it crashes after 20 minutes anyway....
Last edited by Romus; Nov 6, 2018 @ 6:28am
TwojaStara Nov 6, 2018 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by KeB.:
Same here...it try to save frequently but it crashes after 20 minutes anyway....

Originally posted by damadino:
In case someone is interested in finishing this game, you have to change the compatibility mode to windows 98. That solves the problem but prepare for fps drops.
WARNING- I' ve lost my saves by switching to windows 98 mode. You will probably have to start all over again.
TheHolyGhost Nov 6, 2018 @ 6:06pm 
To anyone suffering with the save, disable Full Screen in the Options menu. Works fine in Windowed Mode.
Romus Nov 7, 2018 @ 3:24am 
Originally posted by KeB.:

In case someone is interested in finishing this game, you have to change the compatibility mode to windows 98. That solves the problem but prepare for fps drops.
WARNING- I' ve lost my saves by switching to windows 98 mode. You will probably have to start all over again.

I tried, but it doesnt work either. Crash on some saves and most autosaves.
I tried playing with win 98, vista compability, windowed, with an english windows profile so it doesn't force the game on saves... nothing works so far
Last edited by Romus; Nov 7, 2018 @ 3:24am
Enno Nov 7, 2018 @ 3:52am 
@KeB. have you tried number 2?

Originally posted by Enno:
Solutions that helped me (Win10/gtx1070)

1. play in windowed mode
2. dont keep more than 2 savefiles and always check if the savefile itself isn't broken (the save should display a picture of the location; if its just black its broken)

optional: restart your computer

The game still can crash but you should be able to get through. Hope it helps. Share your results.
Last edited by Enno; Nov 7, 2018 @ 3:53am
Nexus_6 Nov 27, 2018 @ 4:58pm 
Originally posted by Tanidar:
This can be fixed in most cases with video drivers updating. I dont know why but this helps.

Nope. It crashes on me so often during auto or manual save that I am ready to give this game a big tumbs down.
individual865 Nov 28, 2018 @ 7:37am 
Things seem much more stable after turning off DSR factors in Nvidia control panel for me. Worth a shot.
hataru Dec 16, 2018 @ 11:13am 
Maybe I've found a "workaround" for playing fullscreen and using saves at will: every time I want to save I switch to 1st person view, save and then get back to my usual 3rd person view (it's 4 hours that I play doing so and for now l haven't had a single crash...at the moment it could only be luck, but I think it's worth a try)
Buckle Up Jan 2, 2019 @ 8:42am 
Originally posted by TheHolyGhost:
To anyone suffering with the save, disable Full Screen in the Options menu. Works fine in Windowed Mode.
But in the window mode, my character just keeps walking and I can not control
hataru Jan 5, 2019 @ 3:34am 
Originally posted by GrehXscape:
Originally posted by TheHolyGhost:
But in the window mode, my character just keeps walking and I can not control

I had a similar problem (but for me it happened when using Fullscreen) and fixed it setting 60hz refresh rate in the Video Card control panel (I have a 144hz monitor)
sergraz Jan 12, 2019 @ 1:35pm 
I think I found a working solution. Just patch the game to use more memory.
1) Download https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371 and extract 4gb_patch.exe from downloaded zip file.
2) Run it and choose game.exe in game's directory. (you can find it by right clicking the game in your library, then Properties->Local Files->Browse Local Files...)
3) Close the window that says "Executable successfully patched!"

Note that steam can replace patched file during the update and you'll need to patch it again (never happend to me though).

Almost finished the game in fullscreen mode with a lot of save slots, and didn't crash once.
Last edited by sergraz; Jan 12, 2019 @ 1:37pm
Tractor Driver Feb 11, 2019 @ 2:21pm 
Originally posted by Neokortik:
1) Download https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371 and extract 4gb_patch.exe from downloaded zip file.
2) Run it and choose game.exe in game's directory. (you can find it by right clicking the game in your library, then Properties->Local Files->Browse Local Files...)

Note that steam can replace patched file during the update and you'll need to patch it again (never happend to me though).

Almost finished the game in fullscreen mode with a lot of save slots, and didn't crash once.
This worked for me. Thx, dude!:steamhappy:
Lisl Feb 11, 2019 @ 2:25pm 

Oh my god! It works! Awesome feeling finally finding a solution and now being able to play that great game. Thank you so much! :D <3
~ snow white ~ Feb 12, 2019 @ 1:35pm 

Thank u so much ;D it works!!!
Amla Mar 16, 2019 @ 12:26am 

Thanks ! :lunar2019grinningpig:
< >
Showing 61-75 of 125 comments
Per page: 1530 50